Vitamin D deficiency is the most common global problem that affects people of all ages around the world, even in low-latitude countries where it was previously assumed that UV radiation was sufficient to prevent deficiency, and in industrialised countries where vitamin D fortification has been in place for years.
Most countries, however, still lack statistics about Vitamin D deficiency, particularly population-based statistics, with extremely limited information on new-born, children, adolescents, and pregnant women.
The focus of this article was to do a more recent systematic analysis of global vitamin D status, with a special focus on at-risk groups, because the number of recent publications is increasing, along with geographic variety.
Vitamin D insufficiency is a worldwide issue. Vitamin D deficiency varies depending on latitude, season, and sun exposure. The degree to which the body is covered for religious or cultural reasons, the skin tone, and, last but not least, dietary habits and vitamin D supplement use, all have an impact on vitamin D status. Vitamin D insufficiency is more common in women than in men.
HOW VITAMIN D PRODUCED IN THE BODY
Vitamin D, a fat-soluble vitamin that is produced in the skin when in contact with sunlight or received from diet and supplementation.
Around 90% of vitamin D is created in this way for the majority of people on the planet, with the remaining 10% coming from food and dietary supplements. People who live at high latitudes, on the other hand, must eat a vitamin D-rich diet.
According to studies, higher skin pigment diminishes the skin's ability to manufacture vitamin D. Fatty fish, fortified butter, and margarine, as well as cod liver oil, are the main sources of vitamin D.
VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY AND WORLDWIDE HEALTH CRISIS
Vitamin D insufficiency is a worldwide health problem that affects approximately one billion people. Vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency is frequent in the United States, owing to poor dietary intake, unhealthy lifestyles, and limited sun exposure.
Gender was found to be strongly related to vitamin D insufficiency in a recent Jordanian study. Vitamin D insufficiency was found in more females than males in the study. Women are more likely than men to acquire vitamin D deficiency, according to other studies. Women who have recently given birth or who have given birth to a large number of children, as well as those who, for religious or cultural reasons, cover the whole or parts of their bodies when they go outside or who spend most of their time indoors, are particularly vulnerable to vitamin D deficiency.
Prevalence rates of severe vitamin D deficiency, defined as 25(OH)D <30 nmol/L (or 12 ng/ml), of 5.9% (US), 7.4% (Canada), and 13% (Europe) have been reported.
The prevalence of 25(OH)D levels less than 50 nmol/L (or 20 ng/ml) has been estimated to be 24 percent in the United States, 37 percent in Canada, and 40 percent in the United Kingdom (Europe).
This varies by age, with lower amounts in children and the elderly, as well as ethnicity in various locations. When compared to non-white people, European Caucasians have lower incidences of vitamin D insufficiency. Many countries throughout the world have extremely high rates of vitamin D deficiency. In India, Tunisia, Pakistan, and Afghanistan, 25(OH)D levels of less than 30 nmol/L (or 12 ng/ml) are frequent in more than 20% of the population.
Adults with a vitamin D deficit may experience the following symptoms:
- Body Aches
- Severe bone or muscle pain or weakness that may make it difficult to climb stairs or get up from a low chair, or cause you to walk with a waddling stride stress fractures, particularly in the legs, pelvis, and hips
WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO MAINTAIN VITAMIN D LEVELS IN THE BODY
- Vitamin D fights diseases
- Reduces depression
- Fights weight loss
- It keeps your bones healthy
- Healthy pregnancy
- Vitamin D boosts weight loss
- Vitamin D may protect you against heart disease, strokes, and type 2 diabetes.
- It gives strength to your muscles
Vitamin D has a variety of important roles in your body, including enhancing the function of your immune system. According to scientific research, vitamin D supplementation helps protect against respiratory infections, especially in people who are vitamin D deficient.
Appropriate vitamin D levels, according to recent research, can aid a person with COVID-19 virus side effects also. To strengthen your overall immune response, consult your doctor immediately away about taking vitamin D supplements.
HEALTHWITHDES is working for spreading Vitamin-D benefit awareness globally to lead our society towards healthier lifestyle. Our Brand products are the medium to rich the world. Join us for the social welfare and browse our website to know about our mission and vision.